Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Miércoles de cenizas

I am such a dummy.

We have a bunch of Catholic staff members here on my campus. Each year on Ash Wednesday a huge group of our staff members go to the Spanish service before school and then come to work with ashes on their foreheads.

Being the non-Catholic and good friend that I am, I always forget what day it is and attempt to wipe off the dirty spot on my friends' foreheads. I am immediately reminded when the screaming comes "¡NOOOOOOO! Ay mujer hoy es miércoles de cenizas. ¿No te acuerdas?" Translation: NO! Today is Ash Wednesday - remember?

Um....no... dummy that I am, I forgot, again! Each year, I vow to remember to not try and rub the ashes off of anyone's foreheads - I always forget!!!

I will try to do better next year...

8 comments:

Melissa CookingDiva said...

JaJa...great story! Yes, it is amazing transformation, at least here in Panama. The previous days averyone went bananas in carnaval, and now they are off to a good start with the blessing of the ashes.
Hugs,
M
P.D. hope to read your report on the dulce de leche report you are going to prepare. Hmmm...Delicious!

oso said...

Yeah, I had to do some deep thinking when I saw what I thought was dirt on Cindylu's forehead on one of her flickr photos. Then it all clicked. With my freckles, I don't think anyone would even notice.

Teragram said...

That's ok. Here's my faux pas of recent note: Elderly subtitute teacher, Nina, wore a lovely bright red blouse on Valentine's Day. When I complimented her, she said it was a shame she only had one day a year to wear it. I told her she could wear it again at Christmas. Her response? "My Christmas colors are blue and white."

paz said...

Now, THAT is funny! jajaja!
Paz

Nebur said...

I think you need to go to cultural sensetivity training.

Julissa said...

LOL too funny...

cindylu said...

I thought people do that just to be mean.

MsAbcMom said...

Melissa -
Not feeling so well this weekend - when I make the Dulce de Leche treat I will definitely take pics.

Oso -
this is not the first time I have read you say something about your freckles - STOP! They are quite cute!

Teragram, Paz and Julissa-
:-)

Nebur-
While I am in sensitivity training you should go to spell check school:
s-e-n-s-I-t-i-v-i-t-y


CindyLu: Really, I wasn't trying to be mean! :-)