Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Tales From the Classroom #5: I'm So Stupid!

Last week in class we read one of my favorite stories from our reading text. It is called Officer Buckle and Gloria. Officer Buckle and his dog Gloria go around to different school teaching kids safety tips. One of the tips in that book is to never stand on a swivel chair. I should have paid attention!

Today, after the kidlets went home, I decided that one of my bulletin boards needed some work. In front of my bulletin board was an easel. I was too LAZY to move the stupid easel so I figured that I could just put a chair up next to the easel and staple stuff up on the board. Well, I was able to staple. I wasn't able to get down that easily. I fell off of my chair and crashed on the floor. I am not really sure how I fell, I just know that I landed on my ankle. I was able to get up after about a minute. I was also able to walk so I left the room, went to pick up Sabi and drove home. My foot was kind of sore but I thought it would be ok. I dropped Sabina off at home and went on to my Eye Dr. appt. When I came home from the eye Dr. appt, I looked at my foot. It was swollen and hurt like the devil. I called the Kaiser hotline and was advised to come in for an appt. After some x-rays and a long wait, I have nothing more than a swollen, and bruised foot that hurts pretty badly. I was advised to either soak my foot in ice and water or wrap an ACE bandage with frozen peas underneath around my foot. I just finished trying out the ice and water - I didn't think it would be too bad. Let me tell you - that crap hurt like heck! I don't think that I will ever be able to feel my toes again! I hobbled to the tub to toss out the ice water got the peas out of the freezer.

What a stupid klutz I am! I should have listened when we read that book! It wasn't a swivel chair but I should have been safer!

2 comments:

Msabcmom said...

Big OUCH!

I forgot to mention that I am being observed tomorrow too. What great luck! :-(

la maestra said...

great role model that i am, i've read that book to my class yet regularly stand on a swivel chair to hang stuff. does my class remind me of my lack of safety? of course not. so at this point i just designate someone to catch me and someone else to call the office in case the teacher breaks her head.