Thursday, March 08, 2007

Second Grade Crush

This week I have been teaching Intersession. Intersession is a summer school type of class that is offered when we are off track. Many of the kids in my class are my homeroom kids but a few are from other rooms. It is kind of a strange situation because while I know my kids very well, I really don't know too much about the kids from the other rooms.

Today, I let the kids play some skill based games with a partner. I like to choose the partner so they actually get some learning done. Usually, this means a boy/girl partnership. When I paired up one particular girl with a boy she came up to me, looked me in the face and said very seriously, "Ms. V., I don't want to be his partner." I of course asked why and she responded "because he likes me and he makes me uncomfortable."

WOW! I was speechless for a few minutes. I was surprised to hear her say what she said. I was proud of her for asserting herself. I couldn't help but be shocked at her great use of English as well because she has only been here in the U.S. for 9 months!

Yes, I did give her a different partner. I noticed that when I did give her a new partner, her original partner looked a bit disappointed. I had to laugh at that. The little boy by the way is a very sweet little boy. I am sure that he just has a simple little crush on her. All the same, I wanted the little girl to feel comfortable to partner up with someone who she felt safe with.

This was definitely one of this things that make you go "Hmmm." Something you don't expect to encounter in second grade!

No comments: