Today's dinner was Tabouli Salad.I kind of followed the recipe for this salad and then tweaked it a bit to suit my liking. I didn't measure anything that I put in except the olive oil so when I say "about" - that means that I really don't know exactly how much I put in - I just put in as much as I wanted!
Here are the steps that I took.
* 16 ozs cracked wheat (we got a very finely chopped grade at the Middle Eastern Market)
* Finely chopped parsley (about 1 cup worth)
* Finely chopped mint leaves - no stems (About 10 large leaves)
* 4 tablespoons lemon (that is what the recipe called for - I doubled it since I like
the tang! )
* 6 tablespoons olive oil
* Chopped green onions - the entire stalk (about 10 of them)
* Tomatoes - peeled and chopped (I used about 6 medium sized tomatoes)
* Cucumbers chopped up small. (I used about 6 small English cukes)
* salt to taste
Pour cracked wheat into a large bowl and cover with cool water for about 20-30 minutes. You want the wheat to be soft - not crunchy. Taste it to make sure it is ready. When it is ready, place it in a colander and squeeze out as much water as you can. Place it back in a large bowl and add parsley, lemon and green onion. Stir well and refrigerate for an hour.
1 hour later:
Peel the tomatoes by placing them in hot water for about 1 minute and the taking the peel off. Cut in half and squeeze out the seeds and liquid. Chop up finely and add to the salad. Chop up mint and cukes and add to the salad. Add the olive oil, add salt to your liking and stir again. Refrigerate again until chilled and serve.
* Notes -
- I substituted limes for lemons because that is all that we had
- Add more or less of the veggies to you liking.
- I couldn't wait to eat my salad. I ate some before I refrigerated it the second time. It was YUMMY!!!!