Monday, May 28, 2007

Coming to an End

The school year is coming to an end.

Sabi has 3 days left as a third grader. This means that I will have a soon to be fourth grader round the house. She is growing up so fast! I have talked about doing a California Mission Tour with my mom and Sabina to help better understand what she will be learning in fourth grade. As of yet, we have not visited one. I need to map out those missions and get on it! Any ideas???

I still have 24 days left but it will be over before I know it. We have Open House in a week, an Art Show, a Science Fair, Field Day, an awards assembly and more to pack in to that short time.

Summer is here!

8 comments:

jennifer said...

you have the san jose and san francisco missions fairly close, but i think that you should treat yourselves and go to the santa barbara mission! san luis obispo is also nice.

Anonymous said...

imho,La Purisima is tops. I don't, however, understand why missions are such a huge part of 4th grade social studies. Granted, those monks did change California, perhaps more than any other single thing, but SS teachers don't go very deep into why those changes really happened. Fourth graders aren't usually aware that near genocide was committed in the name of Catholicism, nor that slave labor was employed.

Msabcmom said...

Thanks Jennifer and Anonymous. I think we will get to as many as we can.

I agree with you anonymous about the Mission learning that 4th graders get. That is my "mission" for the trips. I want to make sure that my daughter gets the real story. I will be making my own study guide to take to the missions. Any ideas?

jennifer said...

kelly, you might check out martha menchaca's Recovering History, Constructing Race. there's a chapter in there that gives a nice discussion of the california missions, slave labor, etc.

Msabcmom said...

Thanks Jennifer. I just placed a hold at the library for the book.
-K

Anonymous said...

You might look at People's History of the United States, by Howard Zinn. Rethinking Schools is a periodical that may have some info for you, especially the "Rethinking Columbus" issue.
--Anonymous, aka Teragram

cindylu said...

Do they still do the dioaramas of the missions in 4th grade? I hated that. It seemed pointless.

Julissa said...

Check out the Santa Ynez mission - that was my former residence :( It was soooooooooo beautiful there.