Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Update

A few weeks ago I wrote about a new student in my class from Mexico. She has been with me for about a month now. I have learned a lot about this young lady but I still have more to learn.

Academically, she is low functioning. I am not convinced though that it is due to language or a learning disability. "Cindi" has been in and out of homes and schools all of her life. She has been back and forth between California and Mexico many times. She actually attended school in both places. I think that she has never been in school long enough to grasp the language much less the concepts that are taught at each grade. When I work one on one with Cindi, she catches on very quickly and gives me the impression that she could perform on grade level if given the chance to stay put and really focus on studying.

I still don't have a clear picture on all of the places that Cindi has lived or how long she was at the schools that are mentioned in her cummulative records. Interestingly enough, when we called one school mentioned they had no record of her attending that school. I wonder if this is because she never attended that school or because she was there for just a few days.

What I do know about this girl is that she has lived a hard life. Her mother is dead and she has no clue as to the whereabouts of her father. She has been raised by different family members. She is now currently living with her aunt and uncle. I don't know what her other relatives were like but this couple is amazing. Cindi comes to school well groomed each day and the aunt stops by to talk to me for clarification on homework, classwork or to see how Cindi is behaving. Cindi is pretty well trained too. She behaves pretty well and at the end of each day she comes to find me and shake my hand. She says "Gracias Maestra. !Hasta Mañana!" (so cute - she gets a hug from me each time -I love it!)

I really hope that Cindi gets to stay with her aunt and uncle for a long time. They seem to really love and care about her. I can't help but think that if she had a stable loving environment she would be able to catch up with the rest of her grade level peers.

Oh! One more thing...
Yesterday as I was pulling up to school I witnessed a private moment between Cindi and her aunt. Her aunt was walking her to school. As they were approaching the room, Cindi's aunt kept primping Cindi for school. (pulling lint off of her clothes and fixing her hair) She then stopped a bit away from the classroom where she was going to leve Cindi to walk to the room on her own. Cindi turned around and received her bendición from her aunt and a big hug and a kiss. I felt so happy for Cindi and her aunt. Those two really are lucky to have each other.

7 comments:

Suvii said...

I linked over from Lluvia de Estrellas and I am really enjoying reading your blog. This post really touched me. I hope Cindi can finally find a stable home with her loving aunt and uncle. Where would we be without caring teachers like yourself? Thank you and keep up the good work.

Coco said...

Thank you for posting this...
Yes, it made me cry, BUT thank God that Cindi has family (aunt & uncle) who love her! : )
I hope she is able to stay with them.
As for her academics, it's more than likely just lack of exposure. Not being in school long enough to grasp the concept or language.

I was not able to have children,
and when I see children being mistreated and/or abused and neglected,
it saddens me...makes me angry (with God)
BUT your post shows me that yes, God's love is EVERYWHERE!

Take Care!

Un fuerte y caluroso abrazo,
Coco

Msabcmom said...

Suvii:
Thanks for stopping by. We are almost neighbors by the way. You are just 30 minutes north of me on 99!

Coco:
I became a bit misty-eyed when I saw their "moment." As teachers we have a window into the world of so many little ones. Sadly, some of their lives are just rotten. Others, such as Cindi's, can be very blessed.

Thanks for the comment!
-Kelly

cindylu said...

I'm glad she's making progress and now has something more stable. I'm even more glad that students like Cindy have teachers like you. :D

Progressive Texas Chicano said...

wow. what a great story and kinduva tear jerker. PLEASE let me know if i can send ANYTHING to help you or this little girl. my grandparents were Mexican. regardless of nationality, i believe it is incumbant upon us all to help children in these situations. again, you know my blog, let me know if i could help. it would be my pleasure. i am SO glad there are teachers like you on the front lines! VIVA MS ABC MOM!!

Msabcmom said...

Thanks Cindylu and PTC!
-Kelly

Anonymous said...

Sounds like my Jose Alfonso...I don't know whether its a learning disability or if it's simply that he has not had much schooling in his life. It sucks. I feel like yelling at the parents some times...yeah I know it's not really their fault.