Friday, October 21, 2005

Odds and Ends

Parent Conferences:
I am DONE!!!!!!!!!
I had to reschedule one of the conferences several times. Today I had one for a student of mine who is frequently absent. As usual, he was absent today. I called the mom at lunch time to remind her of our meeting. (since she bailed on me several times already)
I said "I am just making sure that I will be seeing you this afternoon."
She said "oh...but ___________ is absent today."
I then said "yes, but that doesn't mean that you don't have to come, right?"
She said "oh, ok - I will be there." And she DID come. YES!!!

Technology:
Today during my very last parent conference I had a parent ask me about appropriate websites and computer programs for her daughter to use at home to reinforce learned skills. I almost passed out! In my 12 years of teaching, I have NEVER been asked this question. Almost no one in our school's neighborhood has a computer. Yeah for progress!!! I didn't have a ready made list but I took the mom over to my computer and went down my list of favorites and had a list ready in no time!

Weekend Plans:
Not much - Just how I like it. I think I will take my daughter to the pumpkin patch. We will go through the hay maze, find a pumpkin, go for a hay ride and eat some apples. Maybe we will even make some applesauce. It will be a good mommy and daughter bonding day.
Hooray for weekends!!!

2 comments:

MommyProf said...

Are you on that year-round schedule?

Msabcmom said...

Yes - I LOVE it. The kids don't seem to lose as much learning as they do in the summer months. It is also a good break for teachers and students. We come back fresh and ready to do some more work together.