Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Subtraction With Regrouping Update

Last week I wrote about teaching subtraction with regouping to my class. The kids really caught on quickly. They were so good at it that they were ready for the test on Monday. The test consisted of 16 mixed subtraction problems (some with regouping, some not) and 4 word problems where the kids have to use the same above mentioned skills. The results were the best ever. Our class average was 88%. I was just amazed. I have four kids who receive math resource support during the day and 2 of those did quite well. One of them told me "Ms. V., it is like a game, I get it now!" Well thank goodness!!!

The other two students who receive extra math support got a zero on the test because they sadly have not been able to unlock the door to the math world and numbers. I am going to keep working with those two but we will be working on one to one correspondance, number formation and basic math facts.

3 comments:

Progressive Texas Chicano said...

LOVE that cartoon by the way! Regrouping? I guess I need a refresher course in Math. I did "okay" in Math but Language Arts and English were more my strong suits. 88 is an AWESOME average! Keep up the good work! Amazing students are by-products of amazing educators, like you.
Cheers!
Angelo

Msabcmom said...

Preogressive Tex. Chicano: Regrouping is the fancy term for borrowing. In many of our school here in CA, we have to make the students state the learning objective several times throughout the lesson. Last week and this week I have had several kids refer to it as Subtraction with Re-groping! (Made me think of my governor the gropenator!) Ha, Ha!

Msabcmom said...

Thanks for the reminder!!!

I forgot about Mother's Day.

-Kelly