Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Candlelight Vigil

On Sunday, while watching the news my daughter told me "If the governor doesn't let Tookie Williams go, when I become governor, I will do it."

I didn't have the heart to explain to her that Tookie Williams would not be let go, just not be executed. I also didn't explain the the deadline for his execution was the next day, not enough time for her to grow up and run for governorship. Instead I hugged her for having a big heart and we talked about what she would need to do to be governor. (college, running for office etc)

Monday came. Clemency was denied. Tuesday morning came. Tookie Williams was executed. I kept NPR off in the car and didn't turn on the TV in front of her. If she asks, I will do my best to explain. What will I say? I just don't know.

1 comment:

Progressive Texas Chicano said...

Hey MsABC,
I am SOOOO mad right now! I have been following the news about how the GOP wants to revoke the 14th Amendment and not give birthrights to babies born here that are of illegal immigrant parents (targeting Mexicans and other latin peoples). Read my blog when you can. I am fit to be tied! Love the cookie pic by the way!
Feliz Navidad Chica!