Saturday, November 15, 2008

Pancho Villa Turkey


Pancho Villa Turkey
Originally uploaded by msabcmom
I got the coolest idea online for a Thanksgiving family project. The kids get a "naked" turkey and then have to disguise it to help it make it past Thanksgiving. Once it is disguised, they then have to write a small persuasive paragraph, in the voice of the turkey, as to why they should be saved. I have received 7 so far and they are cute! I am hoping to get more on Monday. I will have o remember to bring my camera in.

This one came as Pancho Villa. The write up for it said " My name is Pancho villa, a Mexican revolutionary and I need your help to make it through thanksgiving." I am so impressed with both the artwork and the writing!

6 comments:

Dree said...

I love this idea! I do something similar at Christmas, but without the writing component. I send home a green cutout of a tree and ask families to decorate it together. I always get some very creative trees! Maybe I'll try the turkey next year. Thanks for sharing :)

Team Serrins Springfield said...

What a fantastically fun idea. I would try it with my son but he's totally dumbfounded that people eat animals at all. We saw people eating Turkey Legs at Ren. Fair and he didn't understand what they were doing.

Mrs. T said...

This is really cute! My daughters' kindergarten classes did something similar- only with one feather to decorate. Then, each feather was added to a giant turkey in the classroom. They all end up so cool- some glue feathers, sequins, Cheerios, glitter. Some just color on them. Whatever they do, they always look neat.
I like the turkey in disguise idea- I think I could actually do something similar with my Spanish students.

Msabcmom said...

Dree: I can send the activity to you if you like.

Debra: I didn't even consider how this might work for vegetarians. I have to say though that at my school I have not run across one vegetarian family in my entire time at my school. I think it is a cultural thing here.

Mrs. T: I was thinking the same thing. I tried to get my mom do it with her class. You could have the writing portion be focused such as subjunctive, past tense, etc.

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly, send this activity to me please. This sounds like a cool activity for next week...
miri

cindylu said...

This turkey can hide from Woodrow Wilson's troops!