Monday, April 17, 2006

Stay Away Germs!!!

Kids carry germs, LOTS of them!!! I don't want to get sick so I do what I can to try and keep those bugs away from me.

This morning as the kids walked in to class, I heard a lot of coughing and sniffling. I don't like these sounds. One of my students told me he spent the entire weekend being sick. 5 minutes later, I looked at him, I mean REALLY looked at him. His eyes were glassy and he was not his usual perky self. I went over and felt his forehead and sure enough - he was warm. I sent him off to the nurse. He went home a few minutes later with a temp of 100.6.

By this time, my kids were quietly plugging away at their morning reading warm-ups. Well, not quietly - still lots of sniffling and hacking. I knew the germs were in the room and had to take serious action. I immediately walked over to the closet and pulled out 4 boxes of Kleenex. I then got everyone's attention. I pointed out the 4 strategically placed boxes of Kleenex around our room. I then reminded them that they needed to wash their hands with soap and water each time after blowing their noses. (Trust me, the way second graders use Kleenex, this is a necessary course of action!) I had them repeat the directions several times to make sure we were all clear on the emergency germ procedures.

At this point I got everyone back to work and sat down to check in homework. However, before I started working I lathered up to my elbows with my good friend Germ-X

Germ-X

and then mixed up an Airborne cocktail to drink.

airborne


I am NOT getting sick this spring. I am NOT!!!

7 comments:

jennifer said...

good luck! it's hard, as a teacher, to stay well. on one hand, you love that the kids are so affectionate and touchy. and on the other hand, you want to tell them, "ew. stay away." :)

Msabcmom said...

So true. I spend a lot of $ on Kleenex, Germ-X and hand lotion. I have them accessible all around the room. The kids go over and grab some Germ-X whenever they need it. The same with Kleenex. I am all for spending $ when it comes to my health. If I keep them healthy, they keep me healthy!!!

under the red sky said...

Oh man, Germ-X is a must!! I have a huge container in my class too!!

Msabcmom said...

GRD: TOtally a must have for the classroom. Now that's a 40 oz that I can buy plenty of!
:-)

Pilarcita said...

At least all you're facing is the standard run of germs. Where I live in the midwest we just learned two six year old students have the MUMPS!

Nimitz' Lady

p.s. I can't use the stuff like GermX, it makes me break out. But, I adore Airborne.

Dree said...

I know people who SWEAR by Airborne. I've never tried it. Perhaps I should keep some onhand, just in case. 'Tis the season, you know. :)

Msabcmom said...

Nimitz' Lady:
Welcome!
Mumps??? WOW - maybe a cold isn't so bad...

Dree:
Hooray for Airborne!!! If you try it my preference is Grapefruit flavor. They all kind of taste funky but grapefruit is the one I can tolerate the best.